Fix for Java 8+ & iDRAC 6 Connection Failed

For work I recently had to stand up a temporary system that has the old iDRAC 6 in it. Many will know that Java 8+ (from my testing) seems to have a disliking for that version of iDRAC. I spent a day grumbling at the error while standing next to the offending system in the data center watching the OS hang on install. After doing some digging this morning I found the key that kills the connection. SSLv3.

So thanks to MathieuW on the dell community forums for posting this info!

Go to Java installation folder.
Open {JRE_HOME}\lib\security\java.security -file in text editor.
Delete or comment out the following line “jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3”.

My notes, open the file in notepad++ as admin, just comment out the whole line. Save. Re-Launch your virtual console.

Reference URL: https://www.dell.com/community/Systems-Management-General/iDRAC6-Virtual-Console-Connection-Failed/m-p/6088796/highlight/true#M26061

13 thoughts on “Fix for Java 8+ & iDRAC 6 Connection Failed

1. Darren Santoro

Fantastic, thankyou so much!!!! I’ve been trying for ages to get the virtual console to work since java was updated to 8! Life saver.

2. William John Boehmler

Should be the top search result for this issue. Thank you very much!

3. David

Thank you so much have been keeping V8 162 on my machine for a while and not updating Java because of this issue. I was hoping that V8 191 would have solved the issue. NOT the case.

4. Justin Yaple

You can get Java 8 191 to connect.

Its a horrible recommendation but you it will connect if you remove all the disabledAlgorithms.

C:\Program Files\Java\jre\lib\security\java.security
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre\lib\security\java.security

# jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms=MD2, MD5, SHA1 jdkCA & usage TLSServer, \
    # RSA keySize < 1024, DSA keySize < 1024, EC keySize < 224

# jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \
    # EC keySize < 224, 3DES_EDE_CBC

# jdk.jar.disabledAlgorithms=MD2, MD5, RSA keySize < 1024, DSA keySize < 1024

5. Martin

Thanks for this! You just saved me some serious hours of wasted time. In my case, the line(s) that needed to be commented out were:

jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \
    EC keySize < 224, DES40_CBC, RC4_40, 3DES_EDE_CBC

This is an Ubuntu 16.04 system with OpenJDK 1.8.

Fortunately, the only thing I use the web start for is connecting to iDrac!

6. Root

Commented out the Algorithm as suggested, but getting blank screen!, even for other systems too, and the FPS shows avg 50fps, but black display!, any clues?.

1. Root

Tried hitting ctrl many times, and combinations with alt also, still no luck.

Server: Dell Poweredge R710
        IDRac 6 Ver 1.5.

Same for other servers too!