Fix for Java 8+ & iDRAC 6 Connection Failed

For work I recently had to stand up a temporary system that has the old iDRAC 6 in it. Many will know that Java 8+ (from my testing) seems to have a disliking for that version of iDRAC. I spent a day grumbling at the error while standing next to the offending system in the data center watching the OS hang on install. After doing some digging this morning I found the key that kills the connection. SSLv3.

So thanks to MathieuW on the dell community forums for posting this info!

Go to Java installation folder.
Open {JRE_HOME}\lib\security\java.security -file in text editor.
Delete or comment out the following line “jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3”.

My notes, open the file in notepad++ as admin, just comment out the whole line. Save. Re-Launch your virtual console.

Reference URL: https://www.dell.com/community/Systems-Management-General/iDRAC6-Virtual-Console-Connection-Failed/m-p/6088796/highlight/true#M26061

20 thoughts on “Fix for Java 8+ & iDRAC 6 Connection Failed

1. Sam M.

Brother…you saved my day after so many searches. Thank you. Thank you.

2. Darren Santoro

Fantastic, thankyou so much!!!! I’ve been trying for ages to get the virtual console to work since java was updated to 8! Life saver.

3. William John Boehmler

Should be the top search result for this issue. Thank you very much!

4. David

Thank you so much have been keeping V8 162 on my machine for a while and not updating Java because of this issue. I was hoping that V8 191 would have solved the issue. NOT the case.

5. Justin Yaple

You can get Java 8 191 to connect.

Its a horrible recommendation but you it will connect if you remove all the disabledAlgorithms.

C:\Program Files\Java\jre\lib\security\java.security
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre\lib\security\java.security

# jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms=MD2, MD5, SHA1 jdkCA & usage TLSServer, \
    # RSA keySize < 1024, DSA keySize < 1024, EC keySize < 224

# jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \
    # EC keySize < 224, 3DES_EDE_CBC

# jdk.jar.disabledAlgorithms=MD2, MD5, RSA keySize < 1024, DSA keySize < 1024

6. Martin

Thanks for this! You just saved me some serious hours of wasted time. In my case, the line(s) that needed to be commented out were:

jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \
    EC keySize < 224, DES40_CBC, RC4_40, 3DES_EDE_CBC

This is an Ubuntu 16.04 system with OpenJDK 1.8.

Fortunately, the only thing I use the web start for is connecting to iDrac!

7. Root

Commented out the Algorithm as suggested, but getting blank screen!, even for other systems too, and the FPS shows avg 50fps, but black display!, any clues?.

1. mindlesstux Post author

If a *nix based system, sounds like console blanking. Anything come up if you mash a key like ctrl a couple of times?

1. Root

Tried hitting ctrl many times, and combinations with alt also, still no luck.

Server: Dell Poweredge R710
        IDRac 6 Ver 1.5.

Same for other servers too!

8. SkipTam

Um im not Sure if anyone still reads this but its not working for me. any other ideas?

9. squuiid

Actually, you just need to enable RC4 for it to work, not all the other bad protocols as well.
    Just remove RC4 from the line and iDRAC 6 virtual console will work just fine.

jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \

Still insecure, but not as insecure as re-enabling everything else with it.

10. Jim

I think I love you.
    Thank you for this. This fixed our issues right away, and was far more simple than any other solution I’ve read. YTMND!

11. Abdul R

For mac users below is a guide.

Take this path: Mac HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Once you arrive: Right click the package called: JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

Make sure to select “ Show package contents”

Once inside this package here is the path: Contents/Home/lib/security

Once you are here: Drag the File named javascript.security onto your desktop.

Open with text editor and scroll to the bottom until you find:
    jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \

Once you find it place a “ # “ in front of it and click save file.

Example:

# jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, \

Once the file is saved drag it back into the security folder once prompted just overwrite the existing locked file.

Good luck!